Re: [DL] Some help please...

>How-dee all,
>
>So... I've recently gotten back into Deadlands and am working on a new
>campaign.
>
>First, I can't remember (nor I have really bothered to look it up :-) but
>how much of California went for a swim?  Where's the current western
>border?
>The Central Valley?

That one I don't know. If you can get a look at The Great Maze, that's
probably the best place to look (I'm at work, or I'd do it for you. :-) )

>Next, while I rarely follow canon within the game: What order do folks
>recommend reading the various books (whether I have 'em or not! :-) to
>figure out what's going on in 1877?  I know there's a sourcebook which
>moved
>the timeline to 1877 but haven't picked it up yet.

That's probably the best place to start. Tales o'Terror: 1877 covers all the
"big stuff" that happened between QatD and itself...

...unfortunately, we've moved into 1878, so if you REALLY want to keep up
with the timeline, some of what's there is no longer accurate (and that is a
LOT if you've read Dead Presidents...).

If you're wanting to move into 1878 (and you've got a little extra cash to
spend) get Agency: Men in Black Dusters, Collegium, Ghost Busters, Rain
o'Terror, Black Circle: Unholy Alliance and Dead Presidents and read them
(in that order). If you've got questions about people you've read about in
those books that you want answered, Doomtown or Bust! will have a majority
of them in it.

If you MUST pare down what you buy, forget about Agency and Collegium, but
get the other four (ESPECIALLY Black Circle and Dead Presidents).

>I was going to trade in my first edition book.  Any reasons I'd want it?

If you're going to get the second Ed. Rules, no, but personally, I like the
way Hucksters and Shamen are done in 1st ed compared to 2nd ed.

>Is the Quick and the Dead still useful?

I'd hold onto it. There's no reason why you can't run a posse in 1876
instead of 1878, and you've got two game years of info if you're spreading
yourself out through all those years.

>Do any of the "1st edition" supplements need any tweaking?

Hucksters and Shamen have changed how their mojo works to be more in line
with Blessed, which makes the odd Hex or Favour a little goofy.

If you've previously seen the Martial Arts rules, or the Voodoo rules, those
have also changed to be more in line with Blessed mechanics. All the updates
are in a book called Hexarcana.

>I assume the Pinkertons became the Agency...

Correct.

--Jacques (Chris' friend)

"Will a broken skeleton key open a broken door?"