[DL] Re: That Character just ain't right

I have found that Deadlands has been one of the best games for character
development and drama.

However, perhaps unlike many other GM's, I've found that I've improved in
the use of the NPC and character development.  For instance, there was
Tiny, a mad scientist.  He was my first experiment in "minimalist"
characterization.  I gave very little physical description: with the
exception of a couple key elements, he was not described at all. Though any
of my posse members who met him would immediately recognize him.  They got
to know him through his personality, his actions, and his manner of
speech.  I haven't had an NPC come alive like that ever before.  When he
died, several members of my posse were in tears, while the player of the PC
"responsible" for his death felt a sense of responsibility (as much as he
was capable, mind you).
Rather than being used exclusively as cannon fodder, I've had several PC's
grow close to NPC's (wether villains or allies) and, thus, have facilitated
character development.

Several of our Posse members are relatively normal, whilst one is certainly
abnormal.  But even she has developed over time and through her trials
(being an 9-year-old arcane prodigy can be difficult sometimes).  I have
noticed a tendency for players to try to find "specials" for their
backgrounds, but isn't that reasonable considering that this is fantasy
and, thus, an escape from the mundane?  I mean, yeah, everyone's parents
being dead is a little cliche', but this is a game that eats up and spits
out cliche's like a tortilla machine at Chevy's!

I believe that the relationship between character power level and character
personality is almost entirely dependant upon the personality of the
player.  I've had players who seek power to win -- there is little
development potential with these sorts, and backgrounds are designed to
"win" the game rather that spice the character.  I've had other PC's
(little 9 y.o. Samantha for one) who have power and are strange, but grow
and change over time.  It is player who is willing to sublimate the desire
to "win" in exchange for drama and development that usually has a care for
character development.

Dane

Now, does this contribution to the list get my name into the bank for
future DL adventures by Mr. McGloughlin?  <hearty grin>

Quote:

>You know - I never really thought about it, but you are right about the
>inverse relationship between character personality and character power.
>The most interesting chracter I ever played was a private in the Greyhawk
>millitia.  (It was in D&D BTW)  The GM normally was a stickler for
>character backgrounds, but I just was so tired of the "My parents died
>saing the universe from evil magical pants" syndrome.

<delevi>