Re: [DL] Dyn-o-mite!

> On 7/30/01 11:11 AM, Marguerite Frey wrote the following:

> *sigh*  TOO fast!  *laugh*  If I remember correctly
> from our last painful run-in with the stuff, our
> Marshall ruled it would go off on a certain card after
> it was lit.  In other words, I don't think there's any
> specific mechanic for how fast fuse burns, although it
> is listed as a Speed 2 (for first edition) weapon,
> meanign it takes two action cards to light and throw
> the stuff.

Expanding on Jim's idea... (The following assumes the characters are in a
combat situation and haven't tested the fuse(s).)

If the character just lights the fuse willy-nilly: the Marshal draws a card
from a totally separate deck and it goes off when that card comes up.  If
the card has already occurred, then it doesn't go off 'til that card in the
_next_ round.  If it's the current round, well... that's up to the Marshal!
:-)  Maybe they can chuck away in time maybe not!

A character with Demolition should (IMO) be better able to "intuit" how long
it will take.  So assuming the character bothers to check (This shouldn't
take a full action IMO. But if you think it should, perhaps apply a penalty
to the TN), the Marshall sets a TN (higher TN represent a more unstable
stick, i.e. perhaps its older than it looks, maybe the fuse was dry, the
manufacturer makes lousy products, its homemade, etc.)  Then for a success
the Marshall shows the "detonation" card to the player.  Not sure what the
effect of raises would be in this case.  Any ideas?

If the character applies their skill *before* lighting the dynamite, use the
same TN.  For a success the character knows how long it will burn.  (Draw a
card compare it to the current card, determine the difference between the
cards, e.g. if the current round is a king and a an ace, that fuse will burn
for one round.)  Also not sure what raises would do here...

Remember all these "rules" assume the character just picks a random stick of
dynamite and lights it.  Presumably a character with Demolitions will check
them all before hand.  Also, these are just off the top of my head, so its
quite possible (and very likely!) that I've overlooked something!

Take care,

Derek