RE: Re: [DL] What to do with Loonies

The first temporary insanity defense was exacuted prior to the civil war by defense attorney, and future sec. of war Edwin M. Stanton.  The defendant was future union general Daniel E. Sickles, who was at the time a senator from New York.  The victim was Philip Barton Key, son of the author of the star spangled banner Francis Scott Key.  P.B. Key had been having an affair with Sickles wife so Sickles shot him.

g'day
frempath

toadpooka@juno.com wrote:

>I don't know when the exact phrasing came about, but I do know that they
>did occasionally throw the "criminally insane" into asylums.  More often
>than not, though, they probably got hanged or tossed in prison with
>everyone else.
>
>On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:20:39 -0500 "Heivilin, Jim" <banzai@missouri.edu>
>writes:
>> I'm sure Steve Long or one of the others here with legal expertise
>> can correct me but something tickles the back of my brain saying that
>> this defense wasn't legitimized (or perhaps more commonly used) until
>the
>> 50's or 60's.

From Whom It May Concern,