RE: [DL] The Winchester'73 for the Union Army?

> I thought most of the Bolt Action rifles (especially
> the Mauser) didn't emerge until the late 1880's?

bolt action rifles with a magazine did not come out still the 1880s.
However, single shot bolt action weapons were around before the 1870s.
Both sides used them in the Franco-Prussian war.

On a personnel campaign note, I've equipped my union forces with an
early version of the Mauser that had a tubular magazine.

All the best

Sandy