[DL] The bolt action Vetterli info (long)

Sandy,
that sounds like a Vetterli to me.

The Vetterli info follows:

From the website militaryrifles.com
GENERALLY:   The Swiss Vetterli rifle, designed by Swiss designer Friedrich Vetterli, the manager of the Neuhausen factory, and adopted in both Switzerland and Italy, utilized a Henry (Winchester) M1866 type tubular magazine and a bolt system derived from the German Dreyse needle fire rifle.  The Swiss Vetterli was the first repeating rifle widely adopted for military service.  Interestingly enough, the Vetterli continued to utilize rimfire ammunition until phased out in the 1890's in the favor of the Schmidt-Rubin.  Thus it was the most advanced military rifle at the time of its adoption and one of the most obsolete at the time of its ultimate replacement, but it remained in service for over twenty years during a time of great technological change.  It was also the first repeater to have a self-cocking action and small calibre. Adopted by the Swiss Army in 1868, it underwent several improvements between 1871 and 1879. These culminated in the model 1881. Throughout its service!
 life the Swiss Vetterli's magazine system remained unchanged.  Early rifles (M1869) were manufactured by Schweizerichse Industry-Gesellshaft in Neuhausen.  This is the famous SIG arms company that is still a significant manufacturer of arms today.   In addition to SIG, the M1869 was manufactured by no fewer than eight other manufacturers.
      The decision to use the 10.4 millimeter rim fire cartridge in the Veterrli rifle was apparently motivated by considerations of economy since the cartridge it was already in existence and proven in the Milbank-Amsler conversions of the Federal rifle.  Notwithstanding that it is a rimfire, this round was a relatively high velocity, flat trajectory load, far ahead of the short range, large caliber rounds used in the other converted breach loading cartridges.  The Vetterli striker has a forked firing pin which passes through two firing hole pins in the bolt face for double striking the rimfire cartridge.    The cleaning rod of the early rifles was set into the left side of the stock, similarly to the later M1878 French Kropatchek, but that was soon changed and the fully operational M1869 (and all subsequent Swiss Vetterlis) carried the cleaning rod directly below the tubular magazine. The first rifles were made with a loading gate cover but that too was soon found to be unne!
cessary and removed all together with the adoption of the M1871.
    The M1869/71 (aka M1871) had an improved elevator system and a simplified receiver.  The leaf spring which assisted the elevator system was deleted, and the back sight was re-graduated from Schritte (paces) to meters.
    In 1878 an improved variation was adopted. Although substantially a M1871, this variant only has a single barrel band,the fore stock is not checkered and it mounts provisions for a sword bayonet.  This rifle also mounted a significantly different Schmidt quadrant site with a much shorter leaf than the M1869 or M1871.  In 1881 the Vetterli was updated with a new model, but one which had only the most minor of modifications, the principal one being the addition of an extention to the rear sight leaf.  Many M1878 rifles were subsequently modified by fitting with the M1881 rear sight leaf.  There is a photo of such a rifle in the  M1878 &  M1881 Swiss Vetterli photos:  which is linked here and below, which I refer to as a M1878/81 for clarity, although there was never such and official designation.
    The same turning bolt action was utilized in the Italian M1870 Vetterli rifle adopted by Italy and later, with the addition of the Vitali box magazine system, in the M1870/87 Vetterli-Vitali rifle.