[DL] Today in Old West History August 8

I remember a old tradition on this listserv, Today in the old West, and I
thought I might restart it, since I found a page on the net containing this
data. Hope all of you like it.

Marshall Nightlight
Norway

1850-Fort Atkinson was established (in what is now Kansas) by Lieutenant
Colonel Edwin Vose Sumner, 1st U. S. Dragoons. It was located about two
miles west of the present Dodge City, on the left side of the Arkansas River
near the site of old Fort Mann. Fort Atkinson  was intended to control the
Indians and protect the Santa Fe Trail. This small army post was made
entirely of sod buildings.

1863- Nebraska Territory- several wagon trains are attacked by Indians east
of Fort Kearny. Fourteen men are killed and many women and children are
taken captive.

1865- Alexandria, Louisiana- George A. Custer and his troops depart for
Texas, to enforce the federal government's reconstruction policies for one
year.

1867- Fort Stevenson, Dakota Territory- General Alfred Terry reports one
citizen is wounded in a 31st Infantry engagement with Indians near the fort.

1874- Mohave County, Arizona Territory- Jackson, McCracken discovers silver
deposits that will yield $800,000 over the next 30 years.

1889- Jocko Valley, Montana- Flathead chief Arlee died.