[DL] Re: Swords

Cutlasses:
Royal Navy, 1919 when they tried to stop the High Seas
Fleet from scuttling at Scpa Flow.
USMC. Korea or Vietnam. A ceremony was interrupted by
a surprise attack and they used what came to hand -
including dress cutlasses.

I have an old WW I officers pocket manual that lists
standard equipment for officers and men. It still
lists a sword for an infantry officer. The British
cavalry got their firt decent sword just in time for
WW I, most of them had been been terrible, mind you
British cavalry peaked with the New Model Army under
Cromwell! They did the job, after that they adhred to
the old medievial model - wind them up and let them
go, that is why Wellington liked the Kings German
Legion cavalry, discipline.

Russia. Used in WW II by the Cossack cavalry.

187?. Autie Custer had his troops leave their sabres
behind when they went off to fight the Indians.

Michael