Re: [DL] bayonets, slightly OT

At 01:30 PM 8/15/2001 -0400, you wrote:
 >"Heivilin, Jim" wrote:
 >> The U.S. Army, oth, hasn't since I was sworn in (circa 1986).  There may,
 >> however, still be units that train with the pugil sticks.

Basic Training - '88.  One day work with bayonets.  None of us minded that
we got so little training after our drill pointed out that "If you have to
use this, you are f****** 'cause that means  you're out of ammo and the
enemy has you surrounded, cause you can't go back to get more."

On an related note - a bit of advice - if any of your enlist - when you are
going through the bayonet course and get to the part where you jump into
the trench and impale the wooden target, remove and keep running the course
- DO NOT impale the target ON THE WAY DOWN.  Land first, then stab, else
you will bury your bayonet about 4 inches into the wooden block and have a
devil of a time getting it back out.   IIRC this is a timed course, or at
the very least there is a drill sergeant there yelling at you as to why are
you taking so long with this obstacle. . .

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

Asia is the continent rhythm forgot. At best Asian music is off-brand
American pop, like Sonny Bono in a karaoke bar. At worst Asian music sounds
as if a truck full of wind chimes collided with a stack of empty oil drums
during a birdcall contest.
                 -P.J. O'Rourke