Re: [DL] Which System to Use for a New Game

I have only skimmed the d20 version myself but here
are my honest opinions.

The d20 rules are quick and clean if you're interested
in solid challenges and don't care too much about
realism, flavor, or simulating genre conventions.  I
myself found that the d20 System sucked all the flavor
out of the Deadlands rules.  I LIKE the poker chips
and the cards and poker hands and so on.  But, I can
understand the appeal of quick and clean and that's
what d20 is.

The Deadlands rules can become combersome very quickly
but if you know how to Marshall the short cuts well
they don't become that big a deal.  The bigest advice
I have is DO NOT drop the stun rules.  I think it's a
big temptation just to ignore the stun rules to avoid
an extra roll.  However, it's MUCH easier to make one
recovery check then it is to make a complex attack.
I've found that in a shoot out between humans by the
end of round 2 or 3 everyone is either dead,
unconcious or stunned.  Play it fast and loose.  Use A
LOT of common sense.  It takes practice and skill but
the system eventually runs quite smootly.

That's just my opinion.

Jesse