Re: [DL] Which System to Use for a New Game

--- Daniel Stack <danielstack@mediaone.net> wrote:
> I'm currently mulling over which system to use for
> my Deadlands campaign which begins in the fall.

How long has your group played together, and which
games did you play?  This might influence your
decision.  If, for example, you have a seasoned group
used to working together and you've decided to play
DeadLands for the excellent setting, challenge and
change of pace, I think it would be advantagous for
you to all learn the DeadLands system together.  Spend
at least a night or two experimenting with building
characters, and then pit them against each other in
combat tests.  Also keep in mind that if you all learn
the system together, your players won't have the
excuse that they're more inexperienced than you are
when it's time to pass the Marshal's hat (if you do
share GM'ing).

If, on the other hand, this is a newer group who's
only previous experiences in gaming have been d20, it
might be easier for you as the Marshal to at least
start out with d20.  See how fast a sample group of
characters advance with simplistic starting monsters
and villians, and then for the heck of it throw
something obscene at them.  If they survive something
you weren't ready for them to live through, you should
know that before committing.

OR, if you've got the time and aren't committed to
starting a campaign right away, come up with a short
scenario based primarily on combat, and play it
through one night in d20, and another night with the
DeadLands rules.  You'll have a good feel that way for
not only the combat systems, but speed of combat, ease
of use, ... all the intangibles that make a difference
to your group.

How much support do you like for a game?  Do you play
primarily pre-generated modules, or do you never use
them?  To date there is only ONE d20 book, and if you
depend on company-generated material, be prepared to
do a lot of translating on your own.

Marguerite of EMGB, otherwise known as Captain Sydney
Mallory