[DL] Cards in the d20 Combat System (was Fate Chip rules for D20 Deadlands)

From: allensh <allensh@yahoo.com>
> Now..how about ways to use the cards? <g>

Something I threw together as I debated (and continued to debate)
which system to use for my game - A few random ideas I had to
make the d20 Combat System look a bit more like the regular
Deadlands one.  This is a fairly early draft.

Blowin' Things to Hell
===================
==>Initiative
I propose using a variation of the Deadlands combat system.
Specifically, every round roll for initiative by making a Reflex
Saving Throw (or regular initiative).  Based on this:
· DC 5: One action
· DC 15: Two actions
· DC 25: Three actions
· DC 35: Four actions
· Failure: No actions

As per the normal Deadlands rules, characters get to draw a single
card for each action they gain.  Also per normal Deadlands the
characters can do a Cheatin' thing, allowing them to keep a single
card up their sleeve.  To interrupt another action make an opposed
Reflex Test .  Red Joker and Black Joker are treated as per normal.

An action typically consists of a move-equivalent and/or an attack
action.  Full-round actions are possible but in so doing the player
must turn in all cards when he acts (except for one up his sleeve or
a joker - there are some benefits).

A character is assumed to be continuing any action begun until their
next action.  I.e. if a character is "running" in action 7, then
until he acts again he is still considered "running" (and foes get a -
2 modifier to hit but the defender losing AC bonus and cannot dodge).

==> Moving
A characters maximum move, depending on encumbrance is usually 30.  A
character can divide this move into multiple actions.  Can move a total of
60 feet  (20 yards) in one six-second round.   If moving more than 30 feet
in one action, -4 from all attack rolls that action.  Can sprint to four
times if unencumbered but can take no other action including
Vamoosin'.

==> Shootin' Things
As per the normal Deadlands game, do not use the multiple attacks of
d20.  Instead, each action character can fire the standard ROF for
the weapon - 2 for a double-action pistol or double-barreled shotgun,
1 for most everything else.  Treat range and damage as per normal.

==> Vamoosin'
Characters can choose to make a Vamoosin' roll to avoid being clocked in
combat.  They can do this even after they are hit, but it must be
declared prior to damage being rolled.  To simulate the doge, the
character must make a Quickness Reaction test, with the DC being the
attacker's base attack bonus plus 15.  New Feat - Improved
Vamoosin'.  Gives a +2 bonus to this Quickness Reaction Test.  Can be
taken multiple times.

==> Stun
Any critical, in addition to the damage taken, may serve to stun the
character.  This is a Fortitude Save DC is equal to the damage the
character takes.  The roll has the following modifiers:
· Character has full hit points: None
· Character has ¾ or more hit points left: -1
· Character has ½ or more hit points left: -2
· Character has ¼ or more hit points left: -3
· Character has less than ¼ hit points left: -4
· Each prior check: +1 (cumulative - sooner or later the
character will recover)

While not helpless (and therefore not subject to coup de grace), the
character is considered flat footed and can make at most a five-foot
step.  A stunned character is in deep trouble.

-Dan