Re: [DL] character creation points (was Re: dice-o-rama)

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:09:55 -0700 (PDT)

>--- Allan Seyberth <darious@darious.com> wrote:
> > Which is not really a problem - the difference
> > exists for everyone - except
> > that all players do not start equal.  A lucky draw
> > will usually dominate
> > the rest of the party.  Especially when you look at
> > the 36 bounty points
> > required to raise a d10 to d12.
>
>which brings up an idea I've been toying with for some
>time now, but haven't tried to implement or create:
>character creation points, or rather, character
>creation without cards, you lose the randomness of
>getting a mysterious past but it would equalize the
>all of the PCs.
>the idea i've been toying with was to give everyone
>four d6 and six d8 traits, with 24 dice to split
>amongst them. in order to get d10 or d12 traits, other
>traits need to be lowered.
>for instance a d8 raised to a d12 would require
>another d8 to be lowered to a d4, or two d8s to be
>lowered to d6s.
>
>any thoughts?
>-doc

The method we used is that everyone has 92 "die sides" (which BTW is the
average of 12 cards).  You then figure out your 12 dice, draw cards for the
suits, and discard 2 per standard procedure.
The only question is what to do with Jokers.  You can say a Joker is 5 dice
of attribute, or you can say a Joker turns that attribute into a d12; it
depends on how concerned your players are with intra-posse balance.