Re: [DL] Will Someone Stop the Bleedin'?

>> Is it arbitrary?  Yes.  Is it necessary?  IMHO, yes.
>>  You've already got  enough rules.  Use what you have and use your
>> imagination.

>Whoa there.  No need to get fiesty.  *I* have no
>problem using my imagination and making GM judgement
>calls.  It's my PLAYERS who have problems with
>arbitrary GM calls ESPECIALLY when it has a chance of
>adversely affecting their characters.

<snip Example>

Maybe I missed this in all the fray, so ignore it if it's already been
pointed out, but I'm seeing an assumption that I think is tripping you up.
You want to know how much time is passing and how many actions can occur
*after* combat ends, and your players are calling you on "arbitrary" GM
decisions because you don't base it on any measurable scale:

Keep using the Action Deck.

It's not a "Combat Deck" that only comes into play when bullets are flying.
It's a mechanic to resolve any time-sensitive action sequence. You don't
stop dealing out cards once the shooting stops, if the players want to keep
doing something. Theoretically, every single action that a PC can take could
be governed by the use of the Action Deck, but as GM, you make the decision
to switch the session into "story time" periodically to keep the pace of the
game maintained.

And now for my next trick, regarding ticks:

Use the "Innocent Bystander" rules.

Treat the ticks as self-propelled missile weapons that are aimed for the
mouth. If they fail to hit their target, roll for an "Innocent Bystander"
hit to see if they latch onto the body. Then you've got a documented
mechanic to slap down your players who refuse to respect your role-playing
decisions. I forget where the rules are (HOE? Weird Wars?) but someone else
can get off their duff and find out. I'm just here to be brilliant.

Sandor