Re: [DL] Re: Points based character creation

--- Michael Robert Blair <pellinoire@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The solution to that problem will be published soon,
> it is GURPS Deadlands. Character creation in GURPS
> is
> point based (with other optional random or
> semi-random
> systems).
>
> I am looking forward to it but I don't think I would
> ever run it.
>
> GURPS has quite a history of doing versions of other
> game systems. My favourites were the White Wolf
> line,
> not because I like them (I have big problems with
> them) but becuase of a story.
> White Wolf cancelled the deal, the reason was that
> the
> GURPS books were better written than the origionals
> -
> you could actually make sense of the Mage background
> (remember this was back in the first edition days,
> though I doubt if things have improved much).
>
> I don't know if it is true but I certainly found the
> GURPS versions to be much easier to understand.
>

> Michael

GURPS also tended to expand a bit upon any world they
did.  I loved Autoduel, the role-playing version of
Car Wars, and it provided a bit more detail about the
state of affairs in the Car Wars universe.
I've recently bought GURPS Old West, just to gather a
few "extra" ideas for our Deadlands game (historically speaking).