Re: [DL] Advice, Pitfalls, and Monsters of the Week (SPOILER ALERT)

--- Daniel Stack <danielstack@mediaone.net> wrote:
> But I don't want to
> lead the players by the nose either - anyone have
> any experience
> in such games?  The other possible patron would be
> the teacher/
> mentor of the Huckster in the group - the player of
> that character
> loves D&D-style wizards, with the whole
> master-apprentice relationship.

you have made my cold black heart skip a beat!
I know how you could accomplish both having a wide
far-reaching campaign with serious mind-boggling
implications, and satisfying your characters with the
"series of one-shot" style of adventures simply by
giving your huckster PC a patron with a decidedly evil
yet morale villain: Nicodemus Whately, or someone
similar from one of the Whateley off-shoot families

I highly recommend picking up The Black Circle, and
giving this huckster character the "job" of doing in
the occasional mad witch or rogue monster, what the
PCs will never know know is that these evil
practitioners of magic they are slaying, and the rogue
monsters they are killing for their mysterious but
powerful patron are actually competing or adventuring
hucksters or actual threats to their families
livelihood or reputaion.

you could slowly introduce the idea that the Whateley
family, or whichever family they are working for, are
not quite what they seem, eventually turning the
campaign into one where they must confront their
patron benefactor with the "evidence" they've found
against him.

just a thought
-doc