[DL] When Do you know...

     Just simply enough, when do you know it is the
right time to let a character die?  (and I don't mean
NPC's)  I have been in some scenario's where I was
pretty sure that a PC's character was going to die if
I continued on with the characters malevolent
destruction.  I back off though, maybe that is the
problem.  Would someone please give me some advice in
case they get into another skirmish.  There is a main
battle coming up; honestly, I expect at least one of
them to die.  I want them all to finish and complete
the story, but...
Could I get some advice please?
         Thanks a bunch,  Mark.  :)