SV: [DL] Gun + Water = ???

<snip>
>   My group, all being firearms enthusiasts any way came up
> with the idea to paint their rounds with a thin coat of
> wax to make them much more waterproof.
>
>I would think that the wax would eventually build up inside the chamber and
>barrel and gum things up.  From a game perspective I would slowly increase
>(or add) a reliability index so a failure (most likely a jam) would
>eventually happen.
>
>Jim

FYI, all bullets actually have a light coating of wax. Not to make the round
waterproof, but to save the metal in the barrel. And rust.... A cowpokes
nightmare. The boys (and girls) riding the range in the old west, used every
chance they got to look after their guns. Every morning (Since the moisture
during the night is a killer) and if they had rain or crossed a river, they
did it the in the evning too.

Allmost all cartridges had blackpowder, so it's not the powder, it's the gun
who's the problem. All perkusuionrevolvers, if not loaded right, would be
ruined. If the caps where on and the 6 barrels with bullets and powder was
waxed after laoding, it wouldn't be problem. You could fire that thing in a
storm. Crossing rivers could be a problem, thought.... for all guns.
Including teh 1894 Winchester

Now too much wax, is a problem (Belive me, I've tried :) ) But you should
always provide a little wax to the bullet when loading, both perkusion and
cartridge-weapons. I've been a member of SASS for 1 year now, and have a Win
1866 who hates too much wax, a 1873 Peacemaker, who really dosen't have a
problem with wax (These too guns use the same ammo. Cal 44/40) and a
perkusion, 1858 Remington new Army Cal .44 . The last one jams alot, because
of the unburned powder and too much wax.... Working on that problem now,
with a new mix of wax :)

My Enfield 1853, 3 band musket, Cal .58, just goes BIGBADABOOM! and burns
all the wax and water to kingdom come :)

Too much about weaponry, perhaps. I reccomend everyone to try out the guns
of the old west. Check out this link, http://www.sassnet.com and see if
there is a posse nearby. You might get to try it out and get hooked, like
me. And btw, they do everything in costumes, old west etc. ANd have aliases
too.

Enjoy!

Geir Carlstrom, aka Gary "Apache" Withers