RE: [DL] Advice, Pitfalls, and Monsters of the Week

County wars are also something that very few people knew about but could
lead to some serious intrigue and gunplay.

Becoming the capital of a county was a big deal since it meant more
money as well as status with your neighbors.  So, Mayors (Reeves if they
were small) would pull different stunts to get rid of the competition
when a capital was being decided.

Populations could fluctuate due to death or people moving or just plain
lying on the forms.
Threat could be issued
Water may be tampered with
Important money-making facilities could suffer accidents

All sorts of ways to bring a group of Weird Westerners into a town to
figure out what is up.  Plus it can be completely mundane and an
abomination won't even enter into the situation.

There is a Pyramid article on County Wars if you have a subscription

http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid is the link if you do not.

The Thornlord - shuffling cards and drawing an ace.