Re: [DL] A certain guy who comes around the 25th of December (MARSHALS ONLY SPOILERS)

--- James Knevitt <jknevitt@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Ceiu430@aol.com wrote:
> >  Hi,
> >
> >  All you players skeddadle. GIT . . .
> >

> > Okay Marshals still there?
>
> > Henry, if I remember correctly. And what would the
> > Reckoners think of Santa? He would certainly go a
> > long way towards lowering some Fear Levels.

Well, here's something to consider. The jolly old fat
man we all know and (most of us) love was by and large
created by a Coca-Cola advertising executive in the
late 1800s. He started out as St. Nicholas, a Dutch
figure whose saint's day was celebrated on Dec. 5 by
putting gifts into children's wooden shoes.

However, in German folklore, the good Saint was
accompanied by a hideous, furry little dwarf, called
by various names - Black Peter, Belsnickle, etc. This
dwarf's job was to take the switch to all bad
children, and force lumps of coal into their mouths to
prepare them for the fiery torments of Hell.

Parents would often dress up in Dutch and German areas
of Pennsylvania as St. Nick and Belsnickle, chasing
the "bad" children and giving gifts to the good.

Now, what I'm thinking is that a Belsnickle costume
would be a perfect disguise for a servant of the
Reckoners in a Back East campaign.