RE: [DL] Re: Steam needs water

--- James Knevitt <jknevitt@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I personally think the lack of information about the
> actual mechanics behind steampunk devices was a
> ridiculously huge oversight on Pinnacle's part, as
> opposed to a giant glowing 'suspend disbelief -
> nothing to see here' sign. The reason I made the

Well, possibly, but remember: if they could provide
scientific explanations and blueprints for steamtech
and the like, would they really be interested in
making subsistence wage as game designers? It's far
more likely they'd be working as engineers or
physicists, and then we wouldn't have Deadlands to
play.

The problem is, when you start trying to provide
real-world explanations for fantasy-world settings,
then everyone else on a list gets up in arms about how
"this would never work" or "that's not right
because..." Check out the Steve Jackson message boards
for some truly ridiculous examples.

It's far better, IMHO, to leave the explanations up to
the individual players and GMs. That way the
individual posses are happy, the designers are happy,
and everybody's...well...happy. Requesting a specific
answer to a speculative question is a short road to
madness, and in the worst cases has led to designers
utterly abandoning the game systems they created.

OI!
OI!
OI!

Personally, if I'm being asked to accept that the dead
are coming to life with demons in their heads, I have
bigger suspension of disbelief issues than steam
engines running with less water than usual.

All of this is meant in good faith, BTW, and not as a
demand to stop discussing it or anything.

Best to all,

Ivan
http://www.gamesgroove.com/ivan/DustAndBones/index.html