RE: [DL] Hex idea

This doesn't seem powerful enough for a full scale hex.  After all,
Penetratin' Vision lets you see in full darkness with only an Ace.

I'd go with a Trick.

Cat's Eyes

Trait:  Cognition
Duration:  1 Hour
Range:  Self

This trick enables the huckster to see if any ambient light at all is
present.  It negates up to 6 points of lighting penalties as long as any
light is available.  It has no effect in total darkness.  For the duration
of the trick, the huckster has a -6 penalty to resist light-based effects
such as Bedazzle or a Flash Gun.

If you did want to allow this to work in total darkness, I'd reduce the
duration to 1 round/Hexslingin' level.

My 2 cents for what it's worth,

Clint Black

Penalties for darkness can reach up to -8 for complete darkness.  Hence I
would just say that the minimum hand removes 1 point of darkness vision
penalties, with each additional hand removing an additional point.

So in complete darkness

No Hex = -8 to action
Ace = -7 to action
Jack = -6 to action
Pair = -5 to action
Jacks = -4 to action
2 Pair = -3 to action
3 of a Kind = -2 to action
Straight = -1 to action
Flush = no penalty to action

The hex only removes penalties, and cannot give a bonus - ie if the
hexslinger was in  torch light (-4 penalty) any result above 2 pair - would
only reduce the penalty to 0  and not give a bonus.

Aptitude = Cognition
Min Hand = Ace
Speed = 1
Duration = 1 min/lvl
Range = Self (or Touch?)

Possibly for a trick version, I'd allow a varient that allowed the huckster
to see the room as if lit up by lightning for a second.

Aptitude = Cognition
Duration = Instant
Range = Self

Provides a bolt of light that allows the hexslinger to make an instantaneous
Cognition check with a reduction in the light penalties of 2(?).

Hope this helps