Re: [DL] Hexes - a different approach

--- Derek Carmichael <dcarmichael@apple.com> wrote:
> > On 9/28/01 8:06 AM, James Knevitt wrote the
> following:
>
> > Any thoughts?
>
> One at the moment: Don't like the idea of the cards?
> (Curious...)

When I first saw Deadlands, I thought the idea of
using cards to determine the outcome of game emchanics
was kinda cool, but after playing a campaign through
as GM, I found that it was a hell of a lot easier to
just ditch the cards altogether and come up with
something new. that goes for everything, from
initiative down to mad scientists and
hucksters/hexslingers.

As for the in-game aspect of hucksters, well, I
thought that it was a little bit tacky for -every-
huckster to be the card-wieldin', gamblin',
fast-talkin' type of guy, so I decided that the domain
of magic that hexes belong to is just one among many,
and that the actual game mchanics could be used to
represent any of these.

This also means that characters, with enough study,
might even be able to pick up a little bit of foreign
magic or two, while still using the same system. After
all, the hexes themselves are pretty generic in
concept, and many different cultures could have
developed variants, just like black magic.

That's about it. Just don't get me started on my
theories about the cosmology of the manitou - I'll be
typing forever (let's just say it involves a lot of
Sidhe/faerie mythology). :)

James

=====
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

"Lend me your dark & nasty stuff, O my buddy Bert !"
- Paul Jacoby

"Should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be facing a finality beyond your comprehension, and you will not be counting days, or months, or years, but millenia in a place with no doors." - Joe Black, "Meet Joe Black"