RE: [DL] Law Dogs revised and other stuff

Hexslingers are Hucksters, but they prefer to shoot things rather than
gamble.  They perform the contest with the same (type) of manitou in the
Hunting Grounds.  They do the exact same thing, but don't tend to use
Hoyle's book very much -- too much work figgerin' out tha coded messages!
More often it's a master/apprentice learnin' method.

Hucksters use the card game as a way of envisioning the struggle that goes
on in the Hunting Grounds.  But that isn't the only way of doin' it -- even
Hoyle said there are other ways, this is just the way it usually goes
because of the encoding of info into a book of games.  Hexslingers by their
personalities would probably envision the struggle as a pistol duel.  For
that matter, any Huckster/Hexslinger could envision the struggle anyway they
like (care for a bit o' trick shootin'? Closest to the jackolope's left eye
wins...).  However, the card drawing is a useful and playtested game
mechanic.  So Hexslingers use it too.

As far as a focus goes, I don't remember if the published rules mention
bonuses or penalties for having or not having a focus (I'm in the midst of
rereading everything in preparation of restarting my game).  If it were me,
I'd impose a penalty for not having your focus handy if I were granting you
a bonus for when you did have it around.  I believe that plain-jane
Hucksters don't have to have a deck of cards handy, but they do wind up with
a hand of cards in their mits when they cast a hex, so you very often find
the Huckster with a real deck in hand as a cover.  Hexslingers, since they
probably don't have a poker game goin' on in the Hunting Grounds, don't get
glowin' cards poppin' in that they have to explain.  But _something_ happens
that makes 'em obviously diff'rent -- glowin' six-guns or something.  So
having a gun as a focus makes sense.  Explainin' why they glow and spark and
hum is another thing...

Long winded, but I hope it helps...

Jeff Y.
Marshal for the Dynamite Gang