RE: [DL] Mage

> limit
> players on what they can do in such a freeform
> system
> is like taking a leash off of a dog and expecting it
> not to run away

Which means they have to roleplay the scene. Not just
say "I turn him into a deck chair, look, four nines,
and two eights." The Mage concept was that people had
to relate what they wanted to do with how they believe
magic works. A mad scientist would need a device to do
the deed, a Shaman would need to raise suitable
spirits, and so on.

Allowing characters to do what ever they wanted how
ever they wanted to means you might as well play a
Superhero game. Why bother with Mage?

The ST is there to enforce reality (or Reality as it
were). They have to force the player to think through
their character's paradigm. How would this person do
that, if they could even image such a move, and how
would it work? Also remembering that Reality does not
like to be player with and will smack down someone who
pushes too far too fast.

Throwing stats around and naming sphere is meaningless
to how the player roleplays the scene themselves.

Which brings us back to Deadlands.

The Marshall has to keep an eye towards what a
character can and can not do. Remember consensual
reality. You have to believe what you're doing will
work. Not just hope, but believe it. Hence the Neo
example from a previous post. Sure, we can all leap
across buildings if we really wanted to. Are you so
sure of yourself you'll give it a go? Same goes with
Mages. They have to believe.

Roleplaying over-rides game mechanics.

The Marshall can over ride someone's roll/draw if the
player can not be bothered explaining the action. Mad
Scientists need a blue print before creating something
fantastical. They can't just say to the Marshall "I
build something that shoots big bullets at that guy
there right now."