RE: [DL] is there a Mage forum somewhere? (off-topic)

> but i didn't change what
> happened or how the system worked merely to fulfill
> my
> own ends, fudging dice rolls is one thing but
> rewriting the concept of a game and how it works is
> just blasphemous in my mind

Really? My band of adventurers have always
adjusted/imported/exported text to suit our games. As
long as the system is consistant in its application
we've experienced few if any problems so far.

We've played Rolemaster in the Warhammer Fantasy
Roleplay (WFRP) world (yay Chaos Skaven), WFRP on
Discworld (before the GURPS version came out of
hiding, and Cyberpunk Wraith on occasion.

For exmaple: In our Deadlands game we've seriously
downplayed the Civil War. We've taken the situation as
such, without the timeline. So all manner of evil is
walking the world but the war between north and south
is seriously understated.

All the adventures have been home grown so far and if
any canned adventures are to be run in the future
they'll be adjusted to suit the new world view, not
the official time line as it runs.

I always see gaming material as a guide line, not
tomes written in stone. As long as consistancy is
maintained virtually everything is mutable.

Diverging from official plots and timelines also
serves to keep players honest. Sometimes we/they can
know a little too much of how things (will) work so
having them work a little differently keeps the
surprises coming.

One idea we toyed around with before starting the
Deadlands game was to rewrite the world view as being
a second war of independence rather than a civil war.
Having England and Europe rearing their ugly heads
into the mix as America tries to keep its identity
alive. This was judged to be too much work at the time
so we moved along lines closer to the official text.

Still, YMMV.

Cheers,
Mr. B