RE: [DL] changing systems (getting back on-topic)

--- Soothsprayer <hercubadger@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > but i didn't change what
> > happened or how the system worked merely to
> fulfill
> > my
> > own ends, fudging dice rolls is one thing but
> > rewriting the concept of a game and how it works
> is
> > just blasphemous in my mind
>
> Really? My band of adventurers have always
> adjusted/imported/exported text to suit our games.
> As
> long as the system is consistant in its application
> we've experienced few if any problems so far.
>
> We've played Rolemaster in the Warhammer Fantasy
> Roleplay (WFRP) world (yay Chaos Skaven), WFRP on
> Discworld (before the GURPS version came out of
> hiding, and Cyberpunk Wraith on occasion.

yeah, there's just something about a settings home
system that i don't see why anyone would change the
rule system. mage works really well because of the d10
system, deadlands works really well because of the
various die types and card elements, d20 works...
well, it doesn't really, but that's a different
discussion. my point is: sometimes the system helps
add to the flavor the game

> Diverging from official plots and timelines also
> serves to keep players honest. Sometimes we/they can
> know a little too much of how things (will) work so
> having them work a little differently keeps the
> surprises coming.

i agree (when i ran mage, i deviated so far from their
world description that i didn't even use the
traditions)

> One idea we toyed around with before starting the
> Deadlands game was to rewrite the world view as
> being
> a second war of independence rather than a civil
> war.
> Having England and Europe rearing their ugly heads
> into the mix as America tries to keep its identity
> alive. This was judged to be too much work at the
> time
> so we moved along lines closer to the official text.

yeah, i've been wanting to run a World War 1 campaign
using the Deadlands setting, but I'd like to just let
my game get to that point of the timeline without
skipping ahead
-doc