Re: [DL] Mage

----- Original Message -----
From: "B.D. Flory" <bflory@frontiernet.net>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 4:56 AM
Subject: Re: [DL] Mage

> > Try this: It was the end of a story arc. The lads did
> > well enough to pull it all off with minimal screw ups.
> > The posse loud mouth cleared his throat to start the
> > story telling. Instead of covering the main points and
> > rolling the die the player stood in front of the group
> > and presented his speech. He went on for nearly ten
> > minutes covering the deeds of the posse and how this
> > related to the town's folk and their earlier troubles.
> > He had the rest of the posse and myself in stitches
> > with his verbage and examples. It was expertly done
> > and entirely ad-lib.
> >
> > Why bother asking for a roll after that? Just to hope
> > the guy failed? The moment was too good to worry about
> > a mechanic. So I declared it a success without
> > requiring a roll.
>
> *shrug*
>
> I'd throw the player a blue chip, and have him roll Tale Tellin'.
>
> YMMV.
>
> B. D. Flory

Same here.  You took away his chance to fail.  While the player sitting next
to him, no matter what the relative Tale Tellin' stats might be, is doomed
to roll and possibly fail because he's not as personally eloquent.  The dice
take into account the prejudices and moods of the crowd being spoken to
also -- maybe they don't like the humor.  It's not likely, but it's
possible.  That's why it's not likely, but possible, to go bust.

But that's my take.

Jeff Y.