RE: [DL] Mage

>Why bother asking for a roll after that? Just to hope
>the guy failed? The moment was too good to worry about
>a mechanic. So I declared it a success without
>requiring a roll.

Because in my experiences, said eloquent guy is also the one who put 1d6
into storytelling.  Just because the player can do something well, you
should not allow the character do pull it off.  So basically, If IA was
playing in your game, I would net need to give my character stats for things
I can do well.

TRY This:

You describe the final combat scene.  Only you know that the monster needs
to be hit in his left eye.  We have been pummeling the monster to no avail.
In frustration, I grab a pencil, fling it across the room and it lands
squarely in the eye of your 7' Shaq cutout across the room.  No bother to
roll a hit, since *I* was able to do it, correct?

>Go for what ever works for you. I'm sticking with what
>works for me.

Naturally, I've just encountered too many smart players who give their
characters a 7 INT (or 1d6 smarts or whatever), but still end up solving all
of the puzzles and making all of the party's plans.  I award the player who
plays stupid well, and will actually withhold information, because he knows
that is character doesn't know that.  Ditto eloquence versus persuasion,
bluff, etc.

Patrick