Re: [DL] New Background Thread?

Hi all,

I saw this and had to say that the story for John Neale (no pun intended?)
was excellent!  Kudos to you, Roy.

I thought I'd like to share a prologue to a story/book/dime novel I'm
writing.  It is based on a character developed by my wife.  I've let very
few see it, so please be kind...  ;)  I hope you enjoy, as it is very short.

Day Stalks the Moon
Prologue
         A small ivory-colored hand, its fingers lightly spread like a wing
of a dove, turned languidly in the dim shadows.  The hand's mirrored twin,
intricately unfolding, moved gently in the opposite direction.  A small
billow of cobwebs turned in the air, gossamer threads following crimson
silk clad arms slowly dancing above a meager flame.
         "Balance, beckon and call," a small voice quietly intoned, "to the
diversion for soul's taking."
         With eyes closed, a small face contemplated a place far from the
musty room in which it hung.  A small nose, high forehead, and bow lips --
the color of bleached bone -- were framed by sable silk hair that hung
lifelessly off petite shoulders.
         Her slight breath caught the motes of dust falling from wooden
rafters and diverted them only somewhat from their seemingly unceasing
decent onto her satiny lap.  Small booted feet poked forward from under
crossed knees, their tips just touching the pages of an old, worn book.  A
pair of shadow-tinged spectacles held the pages of the book open and
exposed.  The smoky lenses reflected only a portion of the candle's flame
that glowed nearby.
         For a moment, her small chest ceased moving, her breath hung as
does ice on an eve in winter.  This moment, unlike all others, was not one
to be squandered on a mere breath of fresh air.  It was not to be spared
for even a faint heart beat.
         Then, one corner of the small bowed lips coiled into a nearly
imperceptible smile.  This was the only sign of her triumph -- a smile the
color of the moon.
         She drew a breath.  The candle went dark
Dane