[DL] Goin' Bust

Hello,

I'm new to the list, so I hope I don't step on any toes with a rules
mechanics/philosophy question.

As I understand it, you go bust on a roll when the /majority/ of your dice
come up a '1.' This means 50% + 1 of the dice rolled, so for 1dn it's 1
die, for 2dn it's 2 dice, for 3dn it's still 2 dice, for 4dn it's 3 dice,
and so on, where n is any of the die-types in the game. I noticed that
this means the chances of going bust for rolls with an odd number of dice
is quite a bit higher than the chances of going bust for adjacent even
numbered rolls. In searching the 'net for corroborating opinions or a
rules clarification, I found this chart:

http://www.darious.com/deadlands/reference/Diceodds.html

In every case, your chances of going bust /increase/ when you go from 2dn
to 3dn or from 4dn to 5dn. It's really noticeable for the smaller n's, but
it's true for all of them. This seems to be just a bit broken in terms of
how this should play. I like the concept of Goin' Bust a lot, but am
slightly troubled by the statistical behavior.

So, do we play with a (slightly) broken mechanic, or is there an elegant
fix to this? I haven't thought of one, myself, but someone might have.

Or is this not really broken? Or do I have it wrong in the first place?

Or am I traipsing over old ground and likely to get chewed up and spit out
by the veterans on this list? (I looked for a FAQ, I really did. If it's
out there, it isn't anywhere I would think to check.)

Thanks for any feedback,

Jason