Re: [DL] A New Edge

On Tuesday, October 30, 2001, at 12:45  AM, Mr. Christopher McGlothlin,
M.Ed. wrote:

> At 12:02 AM 10/30/2001, Stryfe wrote:
>> anesthetics are usually hard Rum or Whiskey.
>
>         This is a commonly held falsehood about The War.

Aye, it's truthfulness aside - it does make for good game fodder. :-)
Things become stereotyped in history, well, cus it sounds better. Heavy
drinking for amputees was more for earlier wars. By the time of the
Civil War, and by that I mean Our Civil War (as opposed to the
extra-Long Weird Western version) we had opiate narcotics - chief of
them being Morphine by this time (Opium was of course there, but not
used in pain management in the same way Cocaine, Morphine and Heroin
were until they were regulated.)

>>   Joseph Lister (who you may guess was found a company that made
>> Listerine) treated a boy,  James Greenlies, who had a compound (broken
>> skin) fracture, found that   a wound would would not be fatal if the
>> bandages are soaked in phenol. This all happened in 1865. This was the
>> beginning of Germ Theory.

>         I believe a fellow by the name of Pasteur might've contributed
> a little, too.;-)

Lister had no idea bout germs - he just knew it would stop infections
from setting in. Pasteur, I believe, DID understand germs as we know
them (microscopic creatures) and as a result - by his time, we know a
lot more. But I'm not specific on the history of Louis, so I used what I
had - a Chem book noting about Joe Lister (it wasn't my book, and I
didn't read it - my friend relayed the story). What I typed were my
notes of the relaying of the story, and how we developed Germ Theory as
an edge. I'm not sure of the year of Pasteur's discoveries - but I have
a feeling about the 1880's, so they'd be out of the range of my games (I
usualy always set 'em in 1877.) If I'm wrong, I'll have to do some
rewriting! :-)

Hope that clears that up a bit.

-Stryfe