Re: [DL] Deadlands to Deadlands:D20 Conversions

In a message dated 11/1/2001 7:07:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, stone1kl@cmich.edu writes:

I would love to crawl in on the ground floor of this if I could. I use
to avidly play Deadlands and know the books pretty well, and recently I
decided to begin running D20 so I would happily help conversion any way
I can. Write and let me know Matt.

Kevin Stoner

Hi all,

Not to be a downer here, but I really just don't think it's possible. Sure, you can come up with some system to  translate scores to scores, but there's just no way to decide if Stone is 10th level, 20th level, or something more. Or even a GRW -style Gunman. He's not a standard level--he's whatever you need for a particular adventure. If your heroes are 4th level, then the gunmen are 4th level (or whatever). If your heroes are 14th level, then the bad guys are 8th to 10th level.

This is why I didn't put conversion notes in there. It just doesn't make sense. If you need Wyatt Earp, just make him up at whatever level you need. Takes 5 minutes. If you go digging his stats out of Law Dogs and try to translate, you're going to get *something,* but it won't be what you need anyway, and it won't make the most sense given their feats and skills system.

So my advice from gamer to gamer is don't try to figure out how to translate. Just take a hard look at the character/monster's stats in one game and then figure out how you want him to work in the other.

Shane