[DL] Bad luck with deadlands

Hello all,
This is my first message proper to this mailing list, so here goes...

My gaming group has had mixed luck with Deadlands campaigns.  So far three
of us (me included), out of about a dozen, have tried to get one off the
ground.  The record so far is three sessions.  Of the three of us, two of us
have had a single occurrence of great success; i.e. we had one really fun
session.  My first session was an 8-hour long blast of fun, where the party
came across a town cursed with biblical plagues and had to either discover
what was causing them or eventually succumb to the plagues.  My friend's
second session, his best, had the characters come across a small town in
Kansas where a snakeoil salesman stole a case of Baron LaCroix's Zombie
juice and was selling it as a cure-all, completely unaware of what it did.
Half the town bought bottles...

Anyway, somehow Deadlands seems to carry a curse with us.  It is doomed to
either be great or be worse than bad.  (For the record, I just got back into
Deadlands after a 10-month hiatus.  After one great session followed up by
two painfully bad sessions, I sold all my books in frustration and to make
an example to my players.)  There is no 'ok' session with us.  Grrr....
Ideas?

Field Agent Glenn
Lincoln NE
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant
never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare
to die.
- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 1998

We're not running. We're eluding.
-Sean Connery as John Conner, Rising Sun, 1993