AW: [DL] British Stuff...again...

> Just briefly curious if any of you can share some creative ideas for the
> following needs...
>
> First (and this has been discussed before, I think), where might there be
> stats for British firearms?  At least, may I get some names and
> DL equivalents?

There are stats for some British rifles in Law Dogs: the Whitworth, the
English 1840 Pepperbox and the Enfield Rifle Musket.
I tried to find which other guns the British manfactured but didn't find
anything in the hurry.

> Second, what's going on in Britain at this time (c. 1876)?  I
> know Victoria
> is in charge (right?), but this is outa my area of expertise (ancient
> Greece, Rome and the Early Christian period...now there's my
> kinda history...).

Well, there is Victoria in charge, right. The Birtish Empire is still
stretched over the whole globe, prominently in Canada, Australia, India and
South Africa.
There were loads of Wars the Empire fought (check out www.onwar.com for more
information), some of them I list below:

Saint Albans Raid 1864
Basuto-Boer War 1865-68
Morant Bay Rebellion in Jamaica 1865
Fenian Raiders 1866-70
Mayans in British Honduras 1866-67
British Ethiopian Expedition 1867-68
Selangor Civil War 1867-73
Mayan Occupation: British Honduras 1870
Mayan Raid in British Honduras 1872
Second Asante War 1873-74
Perak War 1875-76
Anglo-Russian Crisis 1877-8
Ninth Kaffir War 1877-78
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80
Anglo-Zulu War 1878-79

Especially the Maya-related Wars (yes, desecendants of the Mayan Empire)
could be useful in a Deadlands Campaign.
At http://65.107.211.206/victorian/history/historytl.html you find a
Timeline of the British History

> Finally (warning: the token dumb question), what about a feasible
> equivalent to the Agency/Texas Rangers, but for England?  I know, I
> know...James Bond/007 in DL makes me shudder too, and I get a
> nervous tick
> in my eye.  I'm really stretching it as far as I can without
> having to say
> "no."  But its a new character, and it gives me someone new to kill off.
>
> A hand would be most appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

As someone else ponted out, Scotland Yard would be perfect for that (as well
as the Surete for France).
Make it a special department - like Scotland Yard, I.S.-Department (Internal
Security for the public, Investigation of Supernatural phenomenons for those
"who know")

Markus