[DL] Session suggestions

Listers,
Call me a glutton for punishment, but I'm going to be running Deadlands on
Thursday.  Here's my ideas thus far:

Posse arrives in a small town in the Arizona desert.  Shortly after, a
single rider arrives, badly wounded.  He explains how the Sweetwater
ghostrock shipment steamwagon he was hired to protect (with five others) was
raided by Mexican banditos.  He was the only one to escape.  Telegraph is
sent out, near immediate reply offers a $1000 dollar reward for any
person(s) who can recapture the shipment before Sweetwater "representatives"
arrive.

The bandit basecamp is two days ride away in a canyon, not hard to find.
The bandits, of which there are ~20, only recently came here, and settled in
the abandoned cliffside dwellings of some Indians.  The bandits should
have/would have gotten the hell outta dodge sooner, but they stole the
shipment for a tall man in a stovepipe hat (who's at the camp, explained
later) for a price, and the bandits leader, Jesus Juarez Consita Ramirez
(Jesus for short), is renegotiating the price for their services.  He's
taken the ten sturdy safeboxes full of ghost rock (two of which have been
cracked open and are now leaking fumes into the air) and built a bed out of
them in his quarters, so no one can steal them.  But the fumes have been
getting to him and he's no longer completely in his right mind.  He's being
a bit irrational, so the negotiations are getting nowhere...

Anyway, after the Posse steals the ghostrock back and makes the run for
town, I want them to come across a respectable abomination, something truly
geographical in proportions.  Ideas?  I don't expect them to defeat the
creature, just get away, but I want them to have a healthy respect for it,
and also for it to take care of any chasers they might have.  Oh, I also
want it to be a surprise. :)  I was thinking of maybe big Mojave Rattlers or
a Desert Thing the size of a small town, but these just don't seem to be
what I'm after.  I'm open to ideas, any takers?

Glennjermin B. Nushmutt
Maybe I'm spending too much of my time starting up clubs and putting on
plays. I should probably be trying harder to score chicks.
- Max Fischer, Rushmore

The paths of glory lead but to the grave.