[DL] Lost White Tribes

I read a review for a new book called "Lost White Tribes" by Riccardo Orizio. It's about colonial-era European colonies that survive even today, in little pockets around the globe. The most interesting one I saw was the one below:

"Perhaps the most fascinating of the "lost white tribes" is the Confederados of Brazil. Their great-great-grandparents fled there after the Civil War, determined not to lose the Confederate way of life as they had lost the war. Each April, they gather near the town of Santa Barbara to celebrate their roots. "For hours, three hundred Americans strum banjos and blow trumpets while the children play, the boys dressed in gray uniforms with yellow stripes, the girls in pink and blue frocks with bows of the same colors in their hair, looking like prettily wrapped sweets." There's even a beauty pageant, where "Miss Arkansas" competes with "Miss Tennessee" and other Southern belles in a bathing suit competition. Overseeing it all is a life sized oil portrait of Robert E. Lee."

Isn't that interesting? Confederate descendants/sympathizers in Brazil after 150 years? Thought someone here might be interested (my thoughts went to Mr. McGlothlin, for one).

Derek D. Bass
Etheric Musings
http://members.home.net/wangenstein/ether.htm
--