Re: [DL] Crazy Mrs. Winchester

--- Christopher Merrill <fuzyn9feet@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> > Since part of this involves material from the
> > Marshall's Section of The Book of Curses...

> >               <<Snipped>>
> > As I understand it (as I've never visited
> > the place), the Winchester house seems to have
> been
> > designed using those tables. Hallways that would
> go
> > every which way, inexplicable dead ends, doors
> that
> > would open to a blank wall or possibly a sheer
> drop.
> > It was an unusual place.
>
> Quite right, I've lived in the San Jose area all my
> life (except the three
> years on the other side of the hill) and I've gone
> there a few times (same
> with the Santa Cruz's Mystery Spot) and I still get
> the Hebee-Gebees just
> going to the movie theater next-door.
>
> > As for fitting it into Deadlands, first the issue
> of
> > time should be addressed. In our timeline, Mrs.
> > Winchester arrived in California in 1884 (some
> sources
> > say 1886, but 1884 is the year given on the
> official
> > website). Since the child that died was said to be
> an
> > infant, and Mrs. Winchester was in about her
> > mid-forties in 1884, I think it's safe to assume
> that
> > the deaths occurred well before then. So I would
> > suggest maybe stepping it up to 1873 or 1874.
> > Originally, I thought of it being a regualar
> house,
> > but then read The Book of Curses and thought a
> > variation of the Living House would be a lot
> better.
> > More later. What do you think, sirs?
>
> I love the idea of her still building it but with
> the way PEG has laid out
> the Bay Area here in CA I'd say Lynchburg is the
> Deadlands San Jose. Posse
> members could get jobs at the house as it's still
> being built since so many
> people that worked there left or just disappeared.
> The living house is a
> cool idea but maybe after she builds it. Right now
> it may just be a beacon
> for spirits and ghosts to congregate.
>
> Christopher Merrill
> A W.H.A.T.T. Member

And don't remember that she was told that she had to
continue to build on the house or she would die. There
are all sorts of "ghost traps" built into the
house...stairs going to the ceiling, doors opening on
walls, doors opening on the outside of the house
(second story with no stairs), and other stuff.

She also refused to let her picture be taken.

If you do use this with your posse and they manage to
escape, the house should be different everytime they
go into it.

My two cents,

Fred

=====