Re: [DL] Re: Wound Ballistics

Daniel,
>Fifth, .45 ACP is considered essentialy obsolete,
I will grudgingly give you the other four, but this I can't agree with.  The
.45 is very popular here in the States and I would have to say, having shot
both, that I prefer the .45  If not for accuracy, clip size, or availability
(which isn't an issue here), then for pure stopping power.  A .45 is a
monster of a hand cannon compared to a 9mm.  The general fad of creating
smaller-caliber guns has already affected the Colt line, however, hence the
introduction of the Defender .45.

But given the choice, though, I would rather have a .45, and many other
shooters would, too.

Glenn
ps. How is a caliber size considered obsolete?  Gun designer "re-discover"
bullet sizes all the time (e.g. the .50 caliber)
Memento Mori, Memento Vivere
-Remember that you have to die, remember that you have to live.

Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum
-Don't let the bastards grind you down.

>From: "Daniel Gwyn" <dgwyn@colba.net>
>To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
>Subject: Re: [DL] Re: Wound Ballistics
>Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 20:23:32 -0500
>
> >There was a good examination of police shootings a
> >while back that definitly came out in favour of
> >diameter over area ie. the .45 is better than the
> >wonder nines but I wonder how much the user mattered.
> >
>     The real advantage of wonder nines over .45's is five fold.  Three of
>them have to do with physics and two with the commonality of 9mm ammo.
>First, the 9mm Parabellum cartridge being lower powered, makes it easier
>for
>the average schmuck to hit using it.  Second, the muzzle velocity of 9mm is
>higher giving a flatter tragectory which again makes it easier for the
>average shmuck to hit at a distance.  Third, you can stuff more 9mm rounds
>into a pistol of a given size, which in turn means the average schmuck has
>that many more chances of hitting you.  Remember Firepower equals round on
>target, not rounds fired.
>     Fourth, outside of the States, .45 calibre bullets are relatively
>rare,
>but 9mm is pretty much the standard pistol round hence easier access to
>ammo.  Fifth, .45 ACP is considered essentialy obsolete, so no makes much
>of
>an effort to design new guns for it.  Instead they design guns for 9mm and
>sometimes convert them to .45 (viz the Glock series.)  Hence it is easier
>get good 9mm guns and ammo, than it is for .45's.
>           Daniel Gwyn
>"No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend
>Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again!"
From "The Mary Ellen Carter" by Stan Rogers (1949-1983)