Re: [DL] Texas Rangers

>Has there been a reference to the Arizona and/or the New Mexico Rangers

>anywhere?

>I'm just wondering  'cause I ran across references of 'em before, and I

>just picked up the cowboy ballads of Marty Robbins - especially Big
Iron.

I went to a fair in Phoenix, AZ a few years ago and there was a display
about the Arizona Rangers by the Old West Historical Society. I'm
pulling this from info from a pamphlet:
"In 1901 the Arizona Territorial Governor, Oakes Murphy, commissioned an
elite group of 12 Rangers to install law and order to one of the last
lawless territories. During their tenure the number increased to 26 men.
A total of 107 men were enlisted in the Rangers; of these, only two lost
their lives while serving the Arizona Territory. The Rangers held the
highest rank of all law enforcement officers in the Arizona Territory.
Even though many historians have questioned their procedures, the
Rangers were some of the most productive law enforcement officers of
their time. The results of their accomplishments are legendary. Having
completed their mission, the Rangers were disbanded by the Arizona
Legislature in 1909."

"Marshal" Eric