Re: [DL] Alternate Character creation (was: A Question About Edges...)

>From: Allan Seyberth <darious@darious.com>
>To: deadlands@gamerz.net
>Subject: Re: [DL] Alternate Character creation (was: A Question About
>Edges...)
>Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 12:46:31 -0700
>
>At 06:13 AM 11/24/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >My group decided to fix this situation by altering the character creation
> >rules.  Instead of Aptitude Points, you just start with a chunk o' Bounty
> >(equal to 3 times your Cognition+Smarts+Knowledge).  Everything is bought
> >at the standard Bounty rate.  This causes most characters to have a bunch
> >of level 1-3 skills, with only one or two at level five.  Edges become
> >really expensive, too.  We even had hucksters and sykers (from HoE)
> >starting with only four in thier main skill.
> >This method is more complicated, and not something to spring on newbies
> >right away, but makes for much more interesting characters.
>
>And in early January, my game starts up again.  This is really intriguing
>me as a possibility.
>
>Can either of you post a sample character created this way, if you happen
>to have one on hand.  I'm wondering if it is possible to make a good
>gunslinger from the start this way, or if it gives too much of an edge to
>Mad Scientists, Hucksters, etc. who often have to put their high stats into
>the CKSm stats.

This problem would exist with standard character generation as well.  I have
toyed with just making it a flat amount of bounty.  This came after I fooled
around with a method of having "mental" skill points and "physical" skill
points.

>And to clarify - is that 3x the die type of CKSm?

yep

>I'm assuming that Hindrances are worth 3x bounty points and that VotWW is
>worth 45?

yep