Re: [DL] Alternate Character creation (was: A Question About Edges...)

I heartily support this char gen system.  We did this as well, and had a lot
fewer characters running around with skills at 5 and 1, which seemed the
custom before.

(3 is used becuase 3x5 = 15, the bounty cost of a 5th level skill)

we also said that you don't get free hexes etc. equal to your hexslinging;
basically to beef up non - arcanes, and to stop every arcane from staring
with a 5 in their primary skill

>From: toadpooka@juno.com
>To: deadlands@gamerz.net
>Subject: Re: [DL] Alternate Character creation (was: A Question About
>Edges...)
>Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 06:13:39 -0600
>
>My group decided to fix this situation by altering the character creation
>rules.  Instead of Aptitude Points, you just start with a chunk o' Bounty
>(equal to 3 times your Cognition+Smarts+Knowledge).  Everything is bought
>at the standard Bounty rate.  This causes most characters to have a bunch
>of level 1-3 skills, with only one or two at level five.  Edges become
>really expensive, too.  We even had hucksters and sykers (from HoE)
>starting with only four in thier main skill.
>This method is more complicated, and not something to spring on newbies
>right away, but makes for much more interesting characters.
>
>On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 22:59:01 -0800 (PST) Patrick Downs
><knick_nevin@yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> > Some kind Marshals, myself included, allow players to
> > put more than 10 points in to Edges, although going
> > overboard and not taking enough skills can REALLY hurt
> > you

From Whom It May Concern,