RE: [DL] Possible way to keep the ABs at a reasonable level

I find that the best way to limit the number of AB is just to tell the group
"in order to keep the game balance, and some degree of normalcy, I am going
to limit the number of Arcane Backgrounds to X." I tell my players that, and
usually tell the group that there will be only 2 Arcane Backgrounds in the
posse.

Deadlands isn't Dungeons and Dragons where you need to have a Priest, and a
Wizard in the group for it to be a viable party. Sure, having a Blessed and
Huckster is useful, but they are hardly necessary. Now, if the players start
to evolve into the Arcane Backgrounds. For example, if one of the players is
enamoured with the Hexes, and wants to become a Huckster, than let him...
but that is purely a roleplaying moment, and should be encouraged... but it
should seem realistic...

Your pseudo-Shadowrun idea seems interesting, although it does take away
from the unique character generation that I love in Deadlands.

Yuri