Re: [DL] Texas Ranger (yet again)

At 06:12 PM 12/3/2001, Daniel Gwyn wrote:
>Not to dispute the author, but aren't the Rangers a part of the Confederate
>Military?

         (Please feel free to dispute me all you wish, good sir. Honest
dissention is always appreciated!)

         To answer your question, they sure are.

>   Surely, it would not be "desertion" to transfer (with official
>permission) from a regular Confederate Army (or Navy or Marines) to the
>Rangers?

         My original post did not refer to transferring into the Rangers,
which can certainly be requested (but are always denied). What I referred
to was an active-duty CSA soldier or sailor trying to *enlist* in the
Rangers. Trust me, I know from experience that that's desertion.:-)

>  Obviously this wouldn't be permitted unless there was good reason,
>but if said acceptance was forthcoming?

         Transfers to the Rangers are NEVER approved, due to some political
considerations you'll hopefully read all about in Lone Stars. Most of it
has to do with the manpower shortages and commander's unwillingness to let
ANY soldiers go.

         Thanks for the queries!

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Freelance Writer for the Deadlands: The Weird West RPG Line
Southern by the Grace of God