RE: [DL] Speed Load Cylinders in d20

Speed load cylinders and "speed loaders" are not the same thing.

A speed load cylinder is a pre-loaded cylinder of charges, much like a magazine for a modern autoloader.  This will only work with the solid frame percussion weapons such as the remington model 1858. When using it regularly I could change cylinders in mine in about 15 seconds.  Now this does not work with percussion revolvers such as colts as you must disassemble the pistol to change the cylinder. The remington cartidge conversion is not a great speed loader though, as to avoid pattent infringement, the cylider was a 2 piece affair which was assembled and placed into the revolver.
Other manufacturers had pistols which had fixed cylinders which had to be emptied and loaded 1 chamber at a time.  Smitth and Wesson with its line of auto ejecting break top revolvers are able to be reloaded much more quickly.  One of the selling points of the S&W line was in fact that a S&W break top revolver could be emptied of spent shells, reloaded and fired in the time it took a peacemaker just to be emptied of spent shells.  So preloaded cylinders only for percussion revolvers is a resonable rule.

A speed loader is a device which holds cartridges to place into an open revolver cylinder.  For this to work you need either a side break or a top break revolver, both Smith and Wesson inovations, and the side break is still a few years off from this period, though you could push it in your campaign.

g'day
frempath
kevin jameson