Re: [DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20020127

At 04:21 PM 1/28/2002 -0500, you wrote:
 >Well, what worked good, the skill points times 3 or skill points times 2.5?
 >I've been looking at it a little, & I'm leaning towards the 2.5 myself--
 >make them pay a little extra for that 5 in gun shootin'.

Coordination * Die type.

On paper, it averages to a 2.5, but when people figured out the system,
they started placing their high coords into the appropriate traits, so it
came to about a 3 average.

Which is fine - it gave some competition to Vigor, Quickness, and Strength
for stats that players place their 3's and 4's into.

What was nice were the players who did the math and figured out that it
came out to about the same number of skill points - yet they were still
influenced into buying a broader range of skills instead of buying a small
number of fives.

It was more complex - especially given that I had a number of new players
in the game.  But character creation is over.

One question for the gallery - I have a player who drew double jokers
during character creation.

I use a tarot (Cagliostro - cheap but not so
new-age-every-card-is-a-touchy-feely-good-result) deck for mysterious
pasts, linking the draw with the character to come up with something
unique.  This player drew:
Red Joker:  9 diamonds (coins in other decks)-
Accomplishment.  Effect.  Achievement.  Good Health.  Material
Well-being.  Difficulties surmounted.
Black Joker (card inverted) The Popess (high priestess)- Spiritual/Physical
love.  Ignorance.  Shortsightedness.  Lack of
Understanding.  Selfishness.  Acceptance of Superficial
knowledge.  Improper judgement.  Shallowness.  Conceit.

Okay - and this player is running a 2nd story man thief type whose cover is
a buyer/seller of artwork.  His primary weapon is knife.  He also took
arcane background - unknown.  Leaving it to be discovered and developed
during gameplay.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to weave all this together?  I can think
of a few things that tie into the thief background but nothing. . .
special.  I'd like something with a good wow factor to reward the player
for having such a character to begin with, and to tie a majority of his
elements into a coherent whole.

 >Jeff S

 >successful or not.

 >points.)
 >>
 >>It took a while, but everyone got their characters created.
 >>
 >>It was a bit more complicated, but using the die type x coord.  really had
 >>a good effect on skill levels.

 >       unsubscribe deadlands

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

Where would Christianity be if Jesus got eight to fifteen years, with time
off for good behavior?
                 -New York Senator James H. Donovan commenting on capital
punishment.