Re: [DL] Rolling attributes

> > Strength - used as a "minimum Strength" for firearms (I had one char
>with
> > 2d4 st using a shotgun; seemed a bit unrealistic.  This rule was that
>you
>ST
> > had to be at least equivalent to the damage, using a wpn in 2 hands
> > increased your st by 1, a long gun (rifle or shotgun) increased it by
>one
>as
> > well.  An increase equated to either another die, or bump in the die
>size,
> > and those could be exchanged for each other as well.  For example, Bob
>has
> > 2d8 ST.  This is equivalnet to 3d6, so he can shoot a Colt .45.  A
> > Winchester does 4d8, but as a long gun used in 2 hands, 2d8 is enough
>for
>it
> > as well.
> >

>How did this work out?  Seems like the main problem for me would be the
>NPCs.  Since the average person only has a 2D6 Str, they couldn't use most
>weapons in the game.  A shotgun would take a 4D6 Str to wield, then?

I thought the average was 2-3d6 in stats.  A storekeeper would have 2d6, a
cowbow 3d6.  And the average person would then use a pistol that did 2d6
which noone ever uses in most games.  And a 2d6 character could use a 3d6
pistol if they used both hands.  A shotgun being a long gun and used 2
handed would take 4d6 or 3d8 or 2d10 or 1d12 st.  (base damage of a shot gun
is 6d6).  FOr each level low your st is, you have a -1 to hit; the average
person can't handle the recoil of a 12ga.  (under my rule that is, I've only
fired one once)

>My posse has run into too many times when pulling a gun gets them in
>trouble
>with the local law not to appreciate a high strength.  A bar brawl with low
>strength is pretty painful.

I only ever had one brawl, since the party tended to have low st and high
vigor, fighting guys with 3d6s, no one could hurt anyone; it took forever to
resolve.

For mein, the party needs it to be able to
>converse with people.  Persuasion, overawe and leadership are important
>skills in my game, which keeps mein higher.  I like the idea of using it as
>a reaction roll.  I assume you mean how well someone reacts to the party.

what we ended up with was a "face" with high mien, and everyone else hung
out in the background or looked intimidating.

From a realism stand point, it takes very little strength to fire most
>firearms.  As a matter of fact, I have seen very strong people have a lot
>more difficulty than weak people because they try to resist the recoil with
>brute force.  This decreases accuracy and wears them out quicker.  Strength
>is important for having to carry weapons, but not really for using them.

Dunno about that; a lot of games based recoil resistance off ST (probably
equating it to body mass).  I just had a problem with a d4 st character
shooting a sharps .50 buffalo gun

>As before, this is obviously a game and I don't mind sacrificing realism to
>get good game play.  Sounds like some interesting house rules.  Again, how
>have they worked out?

unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use them yet, my group got sucked
into dnd 3e and haven't left yet :(