Re: [DL] The Whateleys

 >As for where the Whateleys come from, it's a lot more comples than just
 >"Back East."  But I will tell you they're not from the real town of Whatley,
 >Mass.

Card games based on group membership need new
groups/factions/clans/warlords/whatnot for each non-core expansion in order
to push the sales of the "starter" decks/boxes.   Most smaller stores will
buy one box of starters and one box of boosters.  With no "starter" decks,
most of the smaller stores will only buy one box of boosters - not two.

Adding in new factions/etc/ effectively doubles the manufacturer's sales to
the smaller retailers.

The Doomtown game designers wanted to add a group of black magicians to
their next expansion, and so they grabbed the Whateley name in order to
cash in on their established evil reputation from the Lovecraft novels.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue.