Re: [DL] Names in Books [Shane, PEG]

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Matt Maybray wrote:

> I'd start with sucking up to one of the writers, but this wouldn't work in
> the case of the brilliant & talented Christopher McGlothlin, who would
> easily see through such a sham, and who, I might add, is quite possibly the
> nicest and most genteel fellow I've had the pleasure & honor of conversing
> with online. :)

Wow. i saw this thread and thought it was about a problem I dealt with
last night. I have a player who seems to rip characters off from various
true (or partially true) stories a little too liberally. His first
charcater was built as a Doc Holiday clone, and drew a Joker which became
the Doppelganger option... Guess who he looked like? At least his name was
different.

After a meeting with the real Doc turned bad and his charcter was buried,
he decideds to play an indian. All is well, the charcater looks like a bit
of a change from his normal theme, so I'm happy. Player growth is good.

The next sessions tarts and I'm looking over charcater sheets, and he's
filled in a name.

Cochise.

Argh Argh Argh Argh.

He was convinced to change, after arguing that it was a common Apache
name. Not having time to research, I simply went with the idea that using
that name would be... bad... if he encountered a lot of other indians. Or
a range of white men. Yes, his shaman is quite skilled with a tomahawk,
but when there's a full band of indians with guns it doesn't help.

I generally try to avoid using real-world (or legendary)  characters too
much for two reasons:

1. Stealing the PCs thunder. The players are the heroes here, dangit!

2. Bragging Rights. Some people want to be able to say that their PC
killed Billy the Kid. See the reason Stone'sm stats aren't written down.

I am definitely moving toward Marshall-assisted charcater creation.

-Another long-suffering marshall.