[DL] Re:[d20] Question about a feat and effects of fear

> From: scorpio@calweb.com
> Subject: [DL] [d20] Question about a feat and effects of fear

> In the equipment section under the description for the
> Derringer, it says that it can not be used with the feat
> Shootin' from the Hip. However, this feat is nowhere in the
> book. Can someone shed some light on this please?

The closest thing i've found is in the Way of the Gun on p15. It mentions
"Hipshootin'" as a trick that doesn't require a feat.  -2 on attack rolls
for a +1 bonus to initiative. There are some other restrictions, but none
have anything to do with the derringer per se.  My guess is that Shootin'
from the Hip was dropped as a feat and the reference was never corrected.

> Maybe I am just missing something. Cuz most products state
> that failing a save against fear causes the player to become
> shaken, or one of the few fear type effects. This didn't as
> far as I could tell.

You're not missing anything.  In fact, the question has been asked before
-- though you're the first I know of to have it addressed by Shane.
Here's a house rule our group uses, an extrapolation of Joseph "the Ogre"
Wolf's post from the Weird Wars list.

Each situation is rated by the Marshal with a Will save DC of 10-25
Fail by 1-5 = Shaken
Fail by 6-10 = Frightened
Fail by 11+ = Panicked

"20" = award PC a Fate Chip

"1" = Minor heart attack. Fort DC15 or 3d6 temporary Strength and
Constitution damage that returns at 1 point each per hour.  Zero in
either means the character is dead. After Fort save is made, the
character is stunned for 1 round, then the appropriate fear state kicks
in.

Fear states last until a secondary Will save is made (at the original DC,
1 attempt per round as a free action.) Natural "1" and "20" on secondary
Will saves have no further effects.  All fear states end when the scene
ends.

Happy Gaming,

screenmonkey
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!